I am honored to be the recipient of two blog awards today: The Versatile Blogger award, courtesy of the marvelous romance author, Myne Whitman and the Liebster Blog award, courtesy of super science fiction author, Sue Ann Bowling. I met both of these women on SheWrites, a social networking site for women writers. Check all three of those pages out. The thing about these blog awards is that they make you work for them! So here we go!

The Versatile Blogger
Rules:
- Thank the person who gave you the award and link back to them in your post.
- Share 7 things about yourself.
- Pass this Award along to 15 recently discovered blogs and let them know about it!

Myne, thank you so much for this award and for giving me the opportunity to talk about myself a little bit.

1. I am a Toastmaster. There needs to be a 12 step group for this really. I just can’t stop going to meetings! I love speaking and evaluating. I am a fanatic about contests. I earned my Distinguished Toastmaster award last year (that’s as high as you can go, so please, be a little impressed even if you don’t know what it means).
  2. I work for a behavioral health non-profit as an administrative assistant. I work primarily with computers, but the programs I work for are all about helping kids. Perhaps you will not be surprised to know that I formed a Toastmasters group for the kids. They aren’t old enough to be official Toastmasters, so it’s called a Gavel Club.
  3. I am a geek. I love Dr. Who, Star Trek, science, gadgets, etc., but I have never been to a Con. Will someone please drag me to one? I’m dying to go!
  4. I am old enough to have owned a black and white TV as an adult. I’m also old enough to have gone disco dancing in college. I know, I know. It was hideous. You don’t have to tell me. I was there, wearing the clothes, singing along, doing the moves.
  5. Divorced, no kids, two dogs.
  6. Breast cancer survivor for 11 years.
  7. Favorite TV show from the past: Murphy Brown, first season when they had the ongoing secretary storyline. Favorite current show: The Closer. Thank you! Thank you so much!
Now here are the 15 blogs:
  1. Words are Timeless Debra Ann Elliott
  2. The Garden Gate by Elizabeth Young
  3. Widowsphere: A Circle of Hope by by Thelma Zirkelback
  4. Leah’s Thoughts by Leah Singer
  5. A Woman’s Nest by Nadine Feldman
  6. Writing in the Flow by Beverly Diehl
  7. Return to Writing by Candyce Carden-Deal, EdS
  8. Carol’s Notes by Carol
  9. Lind-guistics by Linda H.
  10. Nexus by Jourist
  11. No Credentials Necessary by Kim Haas
  12. But What Are They Eating? by Shelley Workinger
  13. The Phoenix Speaks by DJ (blog has been removed)
  14. Bibliofanatique by Pooja Pillai
  15. Claire McA by Claire
Liebster award
The Liebster Award is given to blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Thank you so much, Sue Ann! As part of the honor, I get to choose five more blogs to pass it on to. Here are some great blogs that deserve bigger readership:
  1. Romancing the Thrill Quill by S.L. Bartlett
  2. Departing the Text by Meryl Jaffe, PhD
  3. View from the Winepress by Eula McLeod (another Toastmaster and a very funny lady)
  4. Pen Name Valontine by Valorie Baker
  5. Robin Hawke (self-titled)
Do yourself a favor and visit all these blogs. They are awesome!
Tagged with:

23 Responses to It’s a Double Play!

1. Pooja Pillai says:

Thanks a lot, Liz!!! This is fantastic! Now, should I go ahead and do the same thing on my blog?
    Pooja Pillai recently posted..Book # 25 Ruchita Misra’s The (In)eligible BachelorsMy Profile

2. Leah says:

Thank you so much! I’m honored!
    Leah recently posted..L’Shana TovaMy Profile

3. Curtesying, or trying to – thank you so much! Much obliged, much obliged – and congrats on all your accomplishments, and I am thrilled by your breast cancer survivorhood (though not, of course, as much as YOU are).
    Beverly Diehl recently posted..Could We Be Any More Aware? Don’t F–k With October 30+ Events, Holidays & CausesMy Profile

4. Val says:

Thank you for presenting this award to me.I feel really appreciative that you select me. I’m out of town and on limited Internet which will prevent me from linking this. Thank you again.

5. Thank you so much Liz for giving me this Award! I’m probably more versatile in my writing than I am in life (forgive my friends for snickering in the background – they have the audacity to think I’m inflexible!)
    Elizabeth Young recently posted..Good team players—time for the truth | ViewsHoundMy Profile

6. Carol Apple says:

Thank you so much for the award Liz. I am honored!

7. jyourist says:

Thanks a lot, Liz. I am quite honored and will pass the honor along.
    jyourist recently posted..Apples and Honey…with a kickMy Profile

8. Robin Hawke says:

Honored to be in such wonderful company, Thanks!
    Robin Hawke recently posted..Thursday’s VoiceMy Profile

9. Liz says:

You’re most welcome, Candyce!

10. Wow, thanks so much. If I’m not careful I may grow my head two more sizes. LOL I am truly honoured to be in such distinguished company and I will strive for improvement. Thank you so much, Liz, it is much appreciated.
    S.L. Bartlett recently posted..My Goodness…An AwardMy Profile

11. [...] Liebster Award is given to blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Thank you Liz Shaw of The Writing Reader. It took me a while to respond–I’m trying to [...]

12. Myne Whitman says:

Awww Liz, it’s so lovely getting to know more about each other. I want to hug you on the last.

My friend is a toastmaster two, has a couple of plaques and some trophys and stuff. I’m not very competitive but I appreciate the speaking aspect. Congrats on your achievements.
    Myne Whitman recently posted..On-camera audience: Extreme Makeover – Weight Loss EditionMy Profile

• Liz says:

Thanks Myne! I think that Toastmasters is a great program, whether competitive or not. It’s a great place to surround yourself with positive people. I always feel inspired after a meeting!

13. Robin Hawke says:

Thank you Liz, I finally caught up with all the rules for the award–now back to a final rewrite of my WIP!

Robin
    Robin Hawke recently posted..Punctuation Rant (em dash)My Profile

14. Liz,

Thank you for the award! Congrat’s on yours…
    Debra Elliott recently posted..Between Jobs or Life As I Know It!My Profile