closet-monster double-take

…every morning, the closet door was open. sharon made sure to shut it just before she tucked hazel into bed, and always pushed against it until she heard the click of the latch. it was almost a ritual, and she wouldn’t begin hazel’s bedtime story until the door was secure. she even thought about putting a slide lock on the outside of the door, but didn’t want to provoke any questions from the already nervous six year old. –Nothing to be Afraid Of by Esmi Rowan

Fiction Writing Prompt: Use the first line of the week as the starting point or inspiration for a scene, story, poem, or haiku.

Journaling Prompt: Write about something you were scared of as a child.

Art Prompt: Behind the closet door

Non-Fiction / Speechwriting Prompt: prompt

Photo Credit: David W. McKelvey on Flickr

6 Responses to Prompt #1299 First Line of the Week – Esmi Rowan

1. Joyce Bruns says:

Closet door open…
    Dark and lurking in the night.
    Kept me from my sleep.

I used to hate looking at my closet door at night, and knowing that it was closed, I always thought I could see it opening, slowly. Probably all little kids go thru that…some of us adults do, too, lol!!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Liz says:

Closets are creepy! Eeek! Thanks for stopping by, Joyce!

• Joyce Bruns says:

Y’welcome. Always a pleasure to read thewritingreader and get some welcome inspiration. The 365 are getting harder to come up with.

• Liz says:

It sounds tough to me. How many have you done already?

• Joyce Bruns says:

Without going to the fb page to see, I think the next one will be #179, pretty close to halfway there. It has turned out to be a bit harder than I thought it would be, and some of the ones I’ve posted are pure crap, seriously. But, they are haikus, and I’ve not ever said that they would all be “good” haikus, lol.

• Liz says:

I think it’s awesome that you made the commitment to do it and are following through with it. Very impressive!